REFLECTOR: IO 360 exhaust

Ron Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Mon Sep 17 15:29:25 CDT 2007

My IO360 on a 173 Elite RG is equipped with the forward exiting 2 into 1
stainless steel exhausts.

I left my cowl openings around the exhaust fairly large - one inch
clearance - so that I could get more air to the front to the engine and keep
electronics, vacuum pump and mags cooler.  Works!  I have placed a
temperature sensor near the vacuum pump and only recorded 180 or so degrees
during cruise.  My heads run 320-360 depending if I am cruising, how LOP I
am running, or if I am in a long climb.  My oil temps run 185 in the winter
and 210 in the summer.  I did have one recent experience on a 95 degree day,
after taking Terry Miles up for a few circuit around the pattern, dropping
him off, and then getting stuck at the hold short position for about 15
minutes while a military plane landed, and another took off.  When it was my
turn, my oil temp went to 225 on climb out.  I had to keep the nose down and
reduced power while the engine cooled off. It was fine after about 10
minutes, then I climbed on up to 5500 for the trip home.

Ronnie