REFLECTOR: 2 bladed prop

Tom tomcat05 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 16 19:45:09 CDT 2007

I have a 2 blade on my Velo. Like most wood/composites, it runs fairly
smooth (although not as much as a 3 blade). It's an Aymar Demuth wood
prop glassed over by Danny Maher. The clearance aspect is not
necessarily true. The Cattos are mostly a 66 diameter and 74 pitch (on
the IO360s)..My 2 blade is a 64 diameter and 83 pitch. It's a strong
cruise prop, negative issue is that to achieve cruise efficiency on a
short 2 blade, you need a wider chord which does not translate well on
the ground run. I had a similar scenario on my Varieze years back (short
diameter/large pitch). it was an excellent prop on the lighter airframe
as takeoff was not an issue. I have a 3 blade Catto currently on order,
Craig feels he can reduce my takeoff roll and maintain top speed.