REFLECTOR: No oil pressure

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Thu Sep 6 15:20:48 CDT 2007

Went to the airport fully intending to pull the pan.  The A&P/IA that
supervised the rebuild suggested we fill the oil pump and turn it through.

So as I poured oil into the outlet of the oil pump he turned the engine
backwards.  We poured in about a quart.

then prelubed the main channels again but this time we pumped until the
oil came out the oil filter outlet. Then screwed on the filter and
pumped another quart in.

grounded the mags and turned the engine through with the starter. Showed
20 PSI on a mechanical gauge we had hooked up to one of the pressure
outlets.

reinstalled the plugs, started the engine and immediately had 85 psi at
800 rpm.

stopped the engine after a couple minutes because the plug in the crank
was leaking a bit.

I don't think any damage was done as the main channels were pre-oiled on
both prior 20-30 second runs. But I will certainly look hard at the oil
filter which I am going to pull on the next visit to the airport.

Scott