REFLECTOR: Poor Comm Performance

Chuck c.harbert at comcast.net
Thu Sep 6 13:19:44 CDT 2007

Kirk, I had a bad Terra comm which showed up at a bench test. It was only
putting out about a quarter of the recommended wattage (normally 5 watts, I
think). They don't make them anymore, but I was able to buy one from
somebody who upgraded for $200. It works okay, but I know I'll eventually
need to replace all the Terra stuff.

---------------------------------

I had the local radio repair shop check my radio stack (SWR meter test).
They verified that both radios are working well. They did not have an issue
with the coax cable used so I assumed that the type is correct (but you know
what they say about assumptions, so I'll check for RG58). They also verified
the crimps and connectors between the radio and the COM1 antenna. They were
not able to verify this to the COM2 antenna (in the winglet). I'm assuming
that the COM2 antenna has become disconnected at its weakest point (the
sheath connection).

The local radio shop would be very happy to install an external antenna for
COM2.  :-)

Thanks

Kirk