REFLECTOR: Aileron cable too short

Steve Goldman steve at fatcatair.com
Wed Sep 5 20:35:07 CDT 2007

Terry Miles wrote:
> Ya know this stuff makes me want to suggest we wikipedia the
> construction manual.  This isn’t the first work week where I have little
> to show for my time by 5 pm on Wednesday and this for things that could
> be amended into the flight manual.  Like:  this part doesn’t fix, and we
> don’t want to engineer change the flight control system,  so just plan
> to modify it or be aware it won’t work as delivered.  I try not to be
> negative, but truth is:  had I followed the book, my ailerons would be
> connected backwards.  The manual change to reverse the bell cranks on
> the dash five was because of Malcolm Collier and I called down there.

A wiki'd version of the manual would be great. I thought the factory
wasn't too enthused the last time it was suggested. It's too bad since
it's free labor for them. It'd be a lot more organized than this
mailing list or searching the archives.

So maybe the wiki could just be disjoint from the actual manual and
have commentary that refers to the supplied manual in addition to
photos or other docs provided by builders. The other problem is that I
know that other groups I belong to with public wiki's have a fair
amount of trouble with vandalism.

On the subject of the dash 5 aileron bell cranks, as far as I can tell
the manual has never been updated nor do I see a KPC for it. I had
saved your email from March of '06 as a reminder for myself.

As far as I can see the only mention of it from Velocity is a two or
three sentence paragraph in Velocity Views. Have you seen any other
docs that show that the bell cranks on the aileron torque tubes have
to be "upside down" for the dash 5?

--
Steve Goldman
'77 Tiger N28531