REFLECTOR: Garmin WAAS Upgrade

Rene Dugas dugasd at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 5 10:27:11 CDT 2007

Dear Folks,

I recently completed my adventure flying around the US.  Just before I
left I upgraded my two Garmin 430's to the WAAS with Terrain.  The first
one came back with the right knob broken and the comms don't work.
Mailed it back off.  The second one was over a week late and too late to
take on my trip, sooooo.   I borrowed two friends WAAS 430's for my
trip. Two more days in the avionics shop with data card miss matches and
corruption problems then the number two radio would receive but not
transmit voice.  I finally took off for Billings Montana and both
Garmins went into a Loading ... mode and would not recover.  I returned
to the avionic shop.  Five hours later and three data updates nothing
was better.  WE reconfigured the units to work completely separately and
pulled the circuit breaker on the Storm scope and each worked perfectly.
I stopped at Aerotronics in Billings Montana were my panel was assembled
and two hours later the answer was discovered.  Garmin whom we had
talked to no less that five times in the last 36 hours informed us that
the upgrade will not work with an installed WX 500 Stormscope.   It has
worked well for four years but GArmin has no idea when they will get the
data problem fixed for my panel.  Just in case someone has had a similar
problem without resolution.

Rene'