REFLECTOR: Chevy numbers

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Sep 5 08:10:21 CDT 2007

Had a bummer happen yesterday.

First start of my TSIO520 went well after a few false attempts.  She
sounded good but the oil pressure never came up after about 30 seconds.
Put a mechanical gauge on a pressure outlet, Re primed the engine with
oil and tried again. No joy.

I could see the mechanical tach output turning when I rotated the prop.
Its driven by the main oil pump impeller.  So the oil pump is turning.

removed the oil filter, it was dry!!!

pulling the pan today to check the sump.  If that reveals nothing will
inspect the pressure relief valve.  After that I'll have to pull the
engine off the firewall to remove the oil pump....

Scott