REFLECTOR: brake lines

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Mon Sep 3 18:32:11 CDT 2007

At 11:24 AM 9/3/2007, you wrote:

>My VEL is down for repairs and since it is about twelve yeas old I
>have decided to replace the old plastic brake lines with something
>newer. I have been looking at the NYLO-SEAL in ACS. I have never
>used it before and am a little concerned about the plastic NYLO-SEAL
>fittings that will go into the brake calipers. Will they stand up to
>the heat? What are you guys using? What size? Any tips will be appreciated.

I would not use Nyloseal or nylaflow at the brakes themselves.

I originally started with nyloseal all the way from the master cyls
to the calipers, with heat shields at the calipers.  It resulted in
brakes that I considered spongy, no matter how often I bled them.

I ende up with -3 braded lines from the master cyl to a bulkhead
fitting, -4 aluminum from there to the gear well, more -3 braded to
the gear, 1/8 wall stainless .020 down the leg, and more -3 braided
with a fire shield to the caliper itself.

No spongy feel, no worry about UV or heat.