REFLECTOR: Fixed pitch props, freeze plugs, and crankshaft plugs

davedent at comcast.net davedent at comcast.net
Mon Oct 29 22:27:45 CDT 2007

There is one thing you forgot related to removing the CS prop and going to
fix pitch.  You have to either remove the inner plug in the crank or if no
small plug in the inner large plug you must drill and tap it if going back
to the CS a tap size hole in the large plug behind the governor transfer
tube. This way no pressure can build up in there and the oil that gets in
there drains back into the engine.  If you don't do this you can cause slug
to build up in there and even plug up your transfer tube.  Let alone build
up pressure to blow out the plug in the end of the crank.  In the area that
the oil is pumped into will create a greater pressure then what you think
it's receiving.  So don't try and run the engine without putting a hole in
the inner plug.

The plug that is used is not a standard freeze plug.  It is a special part
number and it is concave to be flattened when installed properly.  You can
buy then for very little from any dealer that deals with aircraft engines.
I think you can even buy them from A/C Spruce.

Trying to remove the inner plug is next to naught other then when the crank
is removed.  That is why we drill and tap the plug with a 1/4-20 pitch and
leave open till we install the CS prop again. Then put an Allen type screw
in it with Loc-tite when you re-install it.  If drilling the hole and
taping, use some bee's wax on the drill and tap to keep chips from getting
into the engine.  Toilet bowl rings are made of it.

Do not run the engine with the governor installed and the plug in the end of
the crank.  If going to fix pitch the governor must be removed and blanked
off.

Oil pressure is used to get the prop into greater pitch or more bite.  The
MT has a 4" hole in the back of  prop hub that sees the pressure from you
governor. Inside the forward end of the crank. The governor can put out 700
or 900 psi depending on the type and that against a 4" hole could be 2000psi
or greater, going to move you blades.   So you can see what it takes to move
the blades from a flat or take off position to a climb or cruse position and
hold it there.  If the pressure drops off then the prop blades return to the
flatter position or  high RPM. This is done with the large spring in the
front of the hub.  The governor holds this pressure by the position of the
control arm that allows the fly weights to maintain the selected RPM by
porting this pressure required to the back of the prop.

I hope this help you understand how this all works.
Dave