REFLECTOR: sealing the fuel tanks

Douglas Holub doug.holub at tx.rr.com
Mon Oct 8 11:06:29 CDT 2007

Live and learn. I should have sealed the strakes with Jeffco in the area where the fuel tank would be, then added the bulkheads and baffles. Apparently there is a spot at the top of a fuel bulkhead where fuel tank air can get to the foam and find its way to the bottom of that bulkhead, and apparently the surface of the strake beneath that bulkhead is porous enough to let some air through, because bubbles are coming up through the surface of the strake in the baggage compartment.

So now what do I do?  My fuel tank has three compartments.  One of them can be accessed via the fuel cap.  Do I cut 4" holes in the top of the other two compartments, and then brush Jeffco along the top bulkhead-strake seam, and then pull a vaccuum on the tank?

Doug Holub
Rats!