REFLECTOR: Franklin Fuel Pumps

wurzel parsons-keir wurzel at ccpu.com
Wed Oct 3 02:19:00 CDT 2007

Hi, Michael!  Sorry my first email wasn't very clear.

My engine is a 6A-350-C1, just as you said, and I love it very much.
:-)
Mine is carbureted (no fuel injection).  I also have no primer.   (I saw
discussion about primers going back through the archives.)  I have
the electric IVO and the prop itself works great.  I tried buying the
prop governor from IVO and it didn't work well, so I'm still working on
good solution for a governor.

But back to the fuel pump issue...

The PLL-7-6R is a PZL-supplied sliding vane type fuel pump.

I looked at all of the Franklin documents on tvbf.org, and all of them
are from 2002 or earlier. So, the service bulletin from 2003 isn't
there.

I think what I've gathered is the following:
    1) In 2002, PZL said all diaphragm pumps had to be replaced.  (and
the PZL-supplied
       replacement is the PLL-7-6R).

    2) In 2003, the FAA put out some kind of notice saying that you
could NOT mix
       american-made fuel pump drive gears with polish-made engines and
vice-versa.
       If you wanted to put a franklin-america fuel pump into a PZL
engine, you had to
       swap drive gears on one side or the other so that they are both
US or both Polish,
       due to a small diameter difference.

    I don't know if the 2003 notice from the FAA is essentially the same
content as
    the 2003 service bulletin from PZL.

So out of curiosity, do you have a franklin fuel pump (ie, PLL-7-6R) or
a Weldon
or some other replacement?  Are you fuel-injected?

                                                        Thanks,
                                                                -wurzel