REFLECTOR: Southco fasteners

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Oct 2 09:04:06 CDT 2007

Chris,

I have some pics somewhere around here, I'm off to the airport in a
couple minutes but when I get back from CA I'll post um.  They arn't
great pics, but the idea is pretty simple.

Your just making a deep(3/4" to 1 1/4") groove for the forward edge of
the cowl to fit into.

It's easier to do this before engine installation but can be done
afterwards. It would be tough though.

the steps..

finish the fuselage and cowl flanges(lips) per manual.  Put one layer of
duct tape on top cowl flange(lip). Then install the top cowl, with a few
screws to hold it tight in place against fuselage flange.  There should
be a good 3/4 of an inch of the fuselage flange exposed forward of the
cowl flange.  This creates a 3/4 inch wide depression  the same depth as
the cowl flange is thick, between the cowl flange and firewall. Fill the
depression with flox or your favorite structural  fill epoxy, then with
the flox still wet, lay up the inner flange onto the flox and the duct
tape covered cowl flange. Second flange should be about 1.5 to 2 inches
wide,  4 to 5 bid layers thick, of prepregg.  Cover with release.  There
will be a few gaps where the screws are that can be finished after this
first layup cures.

Break the cowl out, the gaps where the few screws are help with this,
and trim a smidge(technical term) from the forward edge of the cowl
flange so your not fighting getting it in if there is a bit of dirt in
the groove. Trim up the new inner flange of course.

Now no screws of holes on the whole fuselage to cowl intersection, looks
very cool.

Scott