REFLECTOR: EGT/CHT probe harness lengths and terminal block

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Sat Nov 24 00:54:17 CST 2007

I _believe_ that you can install a terminal block inside the engine
compartment _if_ you use the correct thermocouple extension wire from
the terminal block on into the wiring harness.  Theoretically, whenever
two dissimilar metals are connected a small voltage is generated that
could cause an error.  However, connecting two wires of the _same_ type
with a third, dissimilar, metal (such as a terminal block) would negate
that effect as long as the temperature of the terminal block is the same
from one side to the other.

At some point the wire composition has to change from that of
thermocouple wire to some other kind of wire either at the harness
connection or a connector on the back of your EFIS.  The EFIS probably
compensates for that by measuring the temperature of the case with a
thermistor and modifying the equation appropriately.  Your connection
from thermocouple extension wire to the dissimilar harness wire is
probably ok as long as the temperature of that junction is close to the
temperature of the EFIS unit itself.  You definitely wouldn't want that
junction to be in the engine compartment since the EFIS doesn't know the
temperature of you engine compartment and can't correctly compensate for it.

This being said, some purists will tell you that you _must_ use only
thermocouple or thermocouple extension wire from the thermocouple all
the way to the EFIS unit.  You can always wire it up with the terminal
block and then test the probe(s) with a known temperature heat source.
Boiling water is 212 degrees F at standard sea level pressure.

--
Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD-FG