REFLECTOR: Interference drag & peel ply

Chuck c.harbert at comcast.net
Wed Nov 21 15:05:44 CST 2007

I read an article awhile back (10 yrs ago) saying that you could reduce drag
by radiusing the square corners, so I used a mixture of West's Ultralight
and resin (with a little Cabo, as I recall?) to fill along the fuselage to
wing/strake, and the winglet to wing. I used a 1" deep socket as my guide
and put sandpaper over it. Was easy to do and it's held up just fine.

I was told peel ply (dacron) was for soaking up excess resin and to smooth
out layups (easier to work than bare fiberglas). Also, that you need to sand
every fiberglas joint including peel ply-ed ones. For really strong joints
mix up a mixture of epoxy, milled fiber, and cabo (peanut butter
consistency) which you squeege on before you lay down the fiberglas. It
really makes the glass stay in place even for upside down layups.