REFLECTOR: Elevator Cuffs

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sat Nov 17 10:14:57 CST 2007

Subject: REFLECTOR: Elevator Cuffs

Before I start grinding on my elevators (the ones I thought were finished
due to the nice shinny paint,)  I would like to check on the preferred
elevator configuration.  As I understand it, the best configuration is no
elevator cuffs and installation of VGs.

 Thanks,

Joe

The results will likely vary depending on whether it is a Wingco canard, or
one built to the factory specs.  My Wingco canard, with about 60% of the
original cuffs, had little buffeting, and basically no 'break' at approach
to stall - just started sinking.  Stall speed was high; 75 to 80Kts.
Removing the remainder of the cuffs noticeably reduced the stall.  Just
yesterday, in calm air, I found that the steady buffeting didn't occur until
68 kts (CG in about the middle of the 'first flight' box).

I have VGs on the wings only (forward of the ailerons) to help offset some
of the excessive lift of the Wingco canard, and improve high AOA aileron
response, as suggested by Scott Swing.

Al