REFLECTOR: Engine Dyno Video

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 08:58:02 CST 2007

Mike,

They don't have a computer on the dyno and we did not plot a curve.

I guess I'm not terribly concerned about having a plot.  My largest concerns
were:

1)  Was the engine assembled properly.  Runs well, no leaks, no unexplained
anomalies.

2)  Will the engine produce the designed/expected horsepower at max RPM

I'm hoping this isn't too much of a leap, but I'm hoping/counting that if
the engine was built to spec. and it produced expected power at the top end,
that the power curve should be very close to what Lycoming had planned.

I did nothing to improve the performance.  No high compression pistons, etc.
It is about as stock as I could make it.

About the only thing we did that wasn't specifically in the manual, was to
balance the reciprocating mass to within 1 gram for directly opposing parts,
and to zero grams opposing across all cylinders.  Jim at G&N said the
Lycoming manual allows for something like 14 grams difference.

Their dyno is not setup for the type of testing you might find at a
performance racing/automotive shop.  It is more of a correct assembly
validation tool with a little bit of engine break in thrown in.  That was
all I was looking for.

The engine produced 226 HP at 2700 RPM; 87% of capability.  The Dyno setup
is not optimal as the engine is breathing in hot air (over 200 degrees).
The exhaust is also sub optimal.  The G&N guys both assured me that we saw
the same numbers they would get when running a brand new GNX-540; their
house brand experimental IO-540.  They were very confident that I will see
260 when I have it hanging on the plane.

For those interested, G&N is located in Griffith Indiana.  Just a little
south of Gary.  They charge $608 to run an engine.  For me, this piece of
mind was cheap.  But, I built the engine.  I'm not sure it would have been
necessary if the engine had been built by Don George, or another reputable
business.  Still, I have no doubts the engine is good and it feels good
knowing it.

Andy