REFLECTOR: Power setting gouge: First Flight

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Fri Nov 2 09:50:52 CDT 2007

Terry,

15 x 2300 gives me approx. 100 kts with the gear down with the same engine.  I would think 23 x 23 will give you right at 140 kts +/- a little.  Not to complicate things, but I believe that keeping the manifold pressure up and rpm down will aid in keeping pressures high in the cylinders to allow the rings to seat properly.  Any thoughts on whether 24 x 21 is better by anyone?  As a side benefit, the lower RPM will reduce piston friction a little which slows heat build up.

Long term, Aviation Consumer's study indicates its better to run low MP and high RPM.  Cylinder and ring wear is more associated with cylinder pressures than piston speed.  However, during breakin, where there is a desire to run at as high a power level as possible, these conditions are reversed.  Just a thought.

Thanks,
Chuck Jensen

Diversified Technologies
2680 Westcott Blvd