REFLECTOR: ] It is ALIVE!!! First Start in Houston]

David Staten Dastaten at earthlink.net
Wed May 30 22:56:23 CDT 2007

(Originally posted in the Rotary Engine's Listserv, reposted here
because its a 1) Canard and 2) Velocity. We had an unsuccessful attempt
yesterday where we weren't getting fuel into the engine - injectors were
unpowered)

 From Christopher Barber:
It actually started.  We turned it off and it started again.  WAHOOOOO.
But a mear wahoooo doesn't quite express the amazing feeling and sense
of accomplisment of first engine start of the 2nd gen, turbo housing 13b.

David and I rebuilt it about 1.5 years ago.  Dave did most the teardown,
cleaning, measureing tolerance etc and we both rebuilt it following
along Bruce T's video and the Haynes shop manual.  Dave final install on
the CC engine mount and Tracy's PSRU.  I ran the wires, hoses...and the
rest.  A true joint effort.

We tried last night to no avail.  Turns out when I wired the injector
switches based on a great diagram from the Flyrotary list, the
illustration stated "top" and I installed that end up with the swithes
being up when on.  However, when I was checking my wires this pm I
noticed that power was coming through the switch when the switch was
down.....doh!  So, I turned them over and rechecked the rest of my wires
and grounds.

In a damn optomistic gesture while in a pessimistic mood, my hangar
mate, Richard Sessions (who is restoring a VariEZ) and my S/O, Jana and
I pushed the tale of the Velocity out the hangar door (of course it
started sprinkling <g>) (Dave was still at work).  We took basic
security procedures, ie showing Jana how to use the fire estingusher.  I
turned on the switches (including the now correclty mounted injector
switches), turned on the primary fuel pump, hit the starter button and
DAMN, it fired.........SCARED THE HELL out of us.......you should have
seen my two Cairn Terriers (Winston and Madison) head for the hills
(well, Houston has no hills, but y'all get the idea).  We kinda looked
at each other in a mixed shock and amazement and checke that we didn't
blow anything off.  We actually mixed fuel, air, compression and spark
and got combustion.....who'ed of thunk it?

We waited for the portable battery charger/starter to bring the battery
back up and tried again. Switches up, Pumps on, press the starter
button......damn, it  sputtered and started (after some cranking).  It
started to rev really fast, or seeminly so, so I brought the throttle to
closed, which didn't stop it, so I cut the fuel pump and it stopped. Go
figure.

Well, we did this a few more times, never running it too long since we
do not yet have sensors on it yet. Also, Dave got off work and came by
to join the fun.  Just the fact it actually ran was great.  Now that
Tracy should be getting back into town, we should be able to order the
correct sensors to replace the ones that were missplaced along the way.

Not quite sure what to work on now.  Obviously we will want to smooth it
out and get it to start easily.  It is currently running better on B
than A.  I may have inavertanly changed someting on A while messing with
it during start sessions (may need to reset A...donno yet).  I think I
will now try to start to clean up the wiring so as to make it easier to
manipulate the stuff in the cabin.  Righ now the panel is laying where
the front seats should be.  So this may be a good starting point while
waiting for sensors that will let me know I am not ruining my new engine.

Y'all's support and words of wisdom, along with Tracy Crooks great
products it what helped make this a reality.  Thanks for being there.
NOW THE REAL WORK (read that as fun) BEGINS.

Dave will be posting a much more technical account soon....heck, I bet
we both rushed home so we could annouce it to the world.

Thanks.

All the best,

Chris
Velocity N17010