REFLECTOR: Phase I airport

Ron Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Tue May 29 13:51:03 CDT 2007

I live on the north side of Class B at Charlotte. My home base was on the north side of class B - my FSDO inspector gave me 50 mile radius to the north, east and west - just stay out of the class B to the south.  In fact the ceiling at my airport was 3600' MSL which is 2700 AGL.  I just stayed under the Class B.

I would suggest you ask for a reasonable area - and stay clear of the Class B.  Of course, each FSDO seems to make their own rules.  I recall that there is NO requirement for a 25 mile radius - that is just the general rule.  You can ask for more and ask for any shape.  A friend of mine has a Lancair ES.  He asked for a box which was defined by several airports (again to the north, east and west of CLT class B).  It was about 50 miles long by 20 miles wide.  He just wanted about a half dozen airports to work with.  The FSDO was just fine with that.

Ronnie