REFLECTOR: Battery Questions

Hiroo Umeno humeno at microsoft.com
Sat May 26 00:06:37 CDT 2007

I have a dual Odyssey 680 setup in my plane with a small avionics backup.

Last time I was up at the hangar working on avionics, I managed to forget to turn off the master switch before I left.  I went up today on a beautiful Seattle day and found that both batteries are completely drained.

Now, I know the "gel cell" like Odyssey are supposed to be able to handle deep cycle better than the regular batteries  but I am thinking going completely dead can't be good for it.  I know on a car batteries, once you let it go completely dead a few times, they are pretty much "done for".

Is the gel-cell able to handle the punishment I dished out?  Did I damage the battery and should expect to replace all of them soon?

Hiroo