REFLECTOR: velocity website changes.

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Tue May 22 11:42:17 CDT 2007

Velocity, Inc. does not consider the change in lock nut design from a Nyloc
to an all-metal locknut as a KPC.
As mentioned in the "maintenance alert", a builder reported finding loose
lock nuts on several Velocity aircraft that he has inspected.
The company inspects many Velocity aircraft at the Velocity Service Center -
and we have not noticed this phenomenon.
It is our sincere belief that a loose lock nut does not pose a safety
problem - and were therefore reluctant to categorize this as a "Safety
Bulletin".
It should be noted that the person who made the finding of the loose lock
nuts strongly disagrees with the company's position.  He feels that the lock
nut should be tensioned on the main gear pivot bolt (RG models) and main
gear mounting bolt (FG models) - and that in doing so, helps prevent main
gear shimmy.
The company agrees that a metal type of lock nut is best for
high-temperature environments (such as the engine compartment) - however it
must also be said that we have never observed any heat damage to the Nylon
style of lock nut in the aircraft we have inspected.  The company
demonstrator aircraft has heat-indicator tape applied to the engine side of
the firewall (in several locations) - and the maximum temperatures we have
observed in the lower portion of the firewall is 140*F.  Our engine
installation is not a "one size fits all" design.  Builders may - and often
do - have unique situations that affect temperature inside the engine
compartment.  In the case of the builder who found the loose Nylon lock
nuts, the aircraft had exhaust systems in close proximity to the Nylon lock
nut.  It goes without saying that every engine installation must be
inspected and have steps taken to protect all of its elements from excessive
heat, hose and wire chafing, vibration wearing and fatigue cracking, and the
like.
As stated in the "Maintenance Alert", the company has gone to an all-metal
lock nut - and is offering to provide metal lock nuts for the main gear
bolts free of charge to those who request such.  We are also asking for
feedback from those who are flying Velocity aircraft - to please inspect the
main gear bolt lock nut and to inform us if the nut is loose (by this we
mean several threads loose) or if the Nylon lock nut has been subject to any
damage due to heat.
SB