REFLECTOR: nose wheel shimmy

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Sat May 19 21:02:50 CDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Baker" <flykb at verizon.net>

> Hi Sid,
> Looks great.
> I assume that you made the washer that the bracket attaches to.

The basic washer I found at a tractor supply/repair shop.  All the steel
pieces that have been shaped were cut with a slave-labor-produced Plasma
Cutter then smoothed with a Makita hand grinder and finally, powder coated
with a slave-labor-produced Powder Coating Machine (the photos do not show
the final assembly).
You will note that the washer has its fasteners increased from one to four.
That one original screw would not have captured the washer sufficiently.

> What is the black disk between the washer bracket and nose wheel fork?

It is the fiber washer that came with the airplane.  I assumed only that it
was original (?).

> How tight do you have the lock nut (holding the nose wheel on) tightened?

Only tight enough to take up clearance... no friction.

Sid