REFLECTOR: Transponder antenna

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sat May 19 17:37:34 CDT 2007

I mounted my transponder antenna in the strake at the wing-strake joint.  I
have had chronic problems with reception, particularly when the ground
station is on the side away from the antenna position. In this case, the
ground station can usually pick me up, at least for a while, if I rock my
wings.  I have a King transponder/antenna.

What's the latest thinking on mounting the transponder antenna for maximum
range?

Manny Lewis

Manny;

A contributing factor is likely the long antenna lead from the unit.  The
transponder signal likes a short lead.  Also, being on one side makes it
subject to shadowing.  I mounted mine between the battery holder and the
canard bulkhead, below the retract pump. It puts it low in the plane, and
close to the panel. Tight fit, works fine.  First photo is antenna and ¼
wave ground plain, second photo is antenna installed.

Hope this helps,

Al