REFLECTOR: V6 (was Emag)

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Fri May 18 09:27:32 CDT 2007

Well my MSD electronic ignition seems great on my V6, too bad they don't make
an E-type mag for aircraft engines (although they do have a mag).

Update on the V-6:

I have all the stuff back now and have reassembled most of the short block.
My (new and improved) machine shop and I went thru the engine with a fine tooth
comb. The metal that was found in the engine had no obvious source, but we
both agree it is due to the origonal assembler not cleaning the crank & engine
sufficiently.
The metal pieces looked and measured exactly like the tailings from turning
the origonal crank at Bryant Racing (probably stuck in an oil galley they
didn't clean out). So, since they left out the oil filter direction plug, all that
metal wandered around in the engine. Good thing I didn't like the fact that
the oil filter didn't feel hot enough, or the damage would have been much worse!

I degreed the crank & cam last night and put all the pistons back in. Hope to
have the rest of the thing assembled this week.

On a side note.. I had to change a cylinder out of the Cherokee. It ran like
usual except for a couple minutes on a breakfast run it was a tad rough and
rpm's were a little low (the run up was fine). Brought it home and looked into
it and found a melted piston. Turns out a small exhaust leak had cooked an
intake runner and leaned out the mixture in that jug.

Moral of the stories:  If you think something is a little off... look into
it!!!   You are probably right.

Kurt