REFLECTOR: Lycoming IO 360 C1C Valve Problem Question

Joel Smith joels at austin.rr.com
Thu May 17 14:17:59 CDT 2007

Depending on what your talking about it is document at this link and was
previously listed in this thread.
http://www.sacskyranch.com/eng140.htm

It is item "g".

It does not say don't use a magnet. It does say a magnetized ball may
cause excessive leakage. Makes sense to me. The operation of the lifter
depends on a good seal. Metal often flows through the engine. Some of it
could very well park there in the seal allowing oil to pass. I have no
idea how a ball would get magnetized.

IMO, removal of the lifter and cap via a magnet is not likely to
magnetize anything (like you say, due to the hardness and type of metal)
much less the ball. It is on the other end of the lifter way down in the
tappet body. No significant flux lines would make it there and then it
is encapsulated in yet another metal cap. However, it is documented with
results. Your mileage may vary, and as always one is free to believe
whatever they want. :-)