REFLECTOR: Power settings, nose wheel shimmy

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed May 16 14:30:43 CDT 2007

Thanks, Pat;

The speeds are pretty consistent with what I was shooting for, but with my
FP prop my rpm are lower.  About 1950-2000 gives me 105-110 downwind, gear
down.  Then about 1550 on base.  I wasn't pulling much off abeam the
threshold, and was typically a bit high and fast turning final, so much of
the final was with little power on.  I'd add power just before coming over
the end of the runway to arrest the sink rate then ease power off completely
low and over the runway, and try and hold AOA and let it settle until the
mains touched.  I found I had a tendency to bring the nose up just a bit as
it slowed (flare), but see that that is not a necessary or good thing.

Definitely need more practice to get things more consistent.  I did one
perfect landing out of 10.

I experienced a scary nose wheel shimmy for the first time when landing out
at Borrego Springs (in the dessert - hot) as the nose wheel touched.
Immediately got on the power and lifted back off.  I had checked the drag
the day before, and it was 12-13 lbs, where it had stayed consistently since
I started flying and worked fine, but I hadn't considered that I had about
10 landings on it since checking it the previous day.

Flew back to my home airport and landed, where it again shimmied.  Put on
the brakes and the shimmy stopped at about 35-40 kts.  Taxied back to the
hangar to inspect and readjust.  No signs of any damage or cracks (whew!).
The measured the drag had dropped to close to 10#.  Tightened it up to
13-14# and went out for a couple more T&Gs and a full stop and all was well.
I'll check things carefully before flying again, and I'll be sure to measure
the drag after 8 - 10 landings, even if it is the same day.

Al

Al

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Power settings

Hi Al,

Glad to hear you're back in the air!

Hopefully some SE RG fixed pitch guys reply as well.

In my XLRG with an CS MT prop, it takes about 2,300RPM
to maintain 110KIAS with the gear down on downwind. I
pull the power back to 1,900RPM and slow to 90KIAS
once abeam the threshold. Assuming no significant
head-wind component, I pull back to 1,700RPM on base.
On final I slow to 85KIAS and adjust the power as
necessary (between 1,500 and 1,900 RPM) to maintain
the glide path. With no VASI/PAPI, I like to see a
decent rate of at least 500FPM on final - especially
if it's dark. On a short runway, I'll pull the power
over the fence and probably touch down around 75KIAS.
On a long runway a leave on a little power and still
touch down around 75KIAS. I'm guessing a little on
this touchdown speed - my head is out the window at
that point.

FWIW, Pat