REFLECTOR: Power settings

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Wed May 16 12:41:33 CDT 2007

Pat,

With the CS prop, you control descent with RPM, not MP?  I do it a
little different.  With XLRG IO540 300, I leave the prop untouched after
setting at 2300, then I need only two settings; 15" or 11" MP.  15" will
allow me to fly the approach at 120kts w/gear up or 100 kts at 11".
This allows me to intercept the localizer at 120 knots and drop the gear
at (5 miles out/FAF/GS intercept).  That slows me to 100 kts, then MP is
reduced to 11" and a person slides right down the glide slope with
tweaking of +/- 0.5" MP to stay on GS.  Once on the GS and down to
100kts or less, then the prop will go in to full pitch, but it will make
no speed, trim or pitch difference which might upset the approach.

Gear-up
15 x 2300 = 120 kts
11 x 2300 = 100 kts
Gear-down
15 x 2300 = 100 kts
11 x 2300 = 100x550

These values are for one person and fairly heavy fuel.  With 2 or 3
people, a person might need to add another 1" of MP to maintain GS.
Using only two values, 11" and 15" MP keeps it simple---which fits me
pretty well.

Chuck Jensen