REFLECTOR: Oil Consumption

Ron Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Tue May 15 07:15:25 CDT 2007

That's interesting information!

My Don George rebuilt IO360-C1C angle valve engine has been using about 1
quart in 4-5 hours ever since initial start up.  I felt I had done too much
taxi testing.  I too checked my crankcase pressure, it was within the
Lycoming limits and my compressions are 78/80.  Changing the operating oil
levels didn't seem to help either. I called Don and he said this consumption
was not out of line and not worth worrying about.

I built and installed an oil/air separator which didn't  seem to help much
other than it was returning some clean oil to the engine.  (I checked what
was coming out of the separator and it was not milky and no water was
present).

Now that I hear that this is normal for Lycoming Angle Valve engines, I'll
go worry about something else!

Ronnie