REFLECTOR: Odyssey Battery

Joe Ewen Jewen at comporium.net
Sat May 12 10:23:01 CDT 2007

Landing as soon as practical is probably a wise choice, but isn't it nice to
be in the position to make the choice..  If I were flying to my home base,
was say an hour out, sever clear, day VFR, I lost the alternator, and knew I
had 2 or more hours of electrical reserve I might consider continuing on to
my destination.  But then I would start to wonder if the problem was
electrical or mechanical, what if an alternator bearing had failed and the
stator was being ground to dust, what am I going to loose next would be on
my mind.  In my case the alternator is driven by a belt shared with the
water pump (auto engine conversion.)  Will continued mechanical failure
affect the cooling system?  It doesn't matter how much fuel or electrons I
have on board, I may end up with a forced landing.  In my case the prudent
course would be land and check it out.  Installations are different and it
is possible that a alternator failure in another AC may not have the same
risks, so the decisions may be different.

In my case I am planning on reviewing possible failure modes and documenting
the course of action prior to first flight.  This will be part of my
emergency procedure section of the manual and onboard computer.  Better to
think through problems on the ground.  These procedures will be incorporated
into the onboard CPU Warning and Checklist systems, so options popup on the
screen the same time as the warning.  The computer monitors the 50+ branch
electrical circuits as well as all engine and flight data, so I should see a
failure like an alternator long before I loose too many electrons.

Well enough rambling, should get back to building.

Joe