REFLECTOR: First Flight for N173RT

Robert Trent RDTRENT1 at CHARTERMI.NET
Fri May 11 18:35:09 CDT 2007

Scott and TEC

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll first check the vernatherm for proper
extension in boiling water. I didn't know that these could unseat due to
back pressure.

If there is no joy with the vernatherm, we will consider the piping options.

Thanks

Bob

  _____

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 6:04 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: First Flight for N173RT

HYTEC45 at aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 5/11/2007 10:11:36 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
RDTRENT1 at chartermi.net writes:

I also have an engine compartment cooler in series with the nose cooler

May I suggest you put the two coolers in parallel.  Being in series you add
to the total length the oil must travel through the lines to get back to the
engine.  If you think about it, its at least 12 feet to and from the front
cooler each way, then add another 2-3' for the rear, and the oil has to
travel 26-27' or more, plus going through the coolers to get back to the
engine.  All this through what, a 1/2" I.D. hose, or even less at the
connectors?  This increases the friction, pressure and reduces the flow
rate.  The vernaItem is probably unseating to allow hot oil to bypass the
coolers due to the restricted flow. Should be quick/cheep to convert to
parallel, and I bet it will take care of your problem, or help allot.  My
engine(IO360C1C w/10:1) cooler has an dedicated air source, and probably
does 90% of the cooling due to the shorter path.  I run 187-195' in cruies,
and never over 220' in a hard climb out of hell.  I feel I don't even need
the front cooler as it's almost useless for heating anyway, and not much
better for cooling on it's own.

TEC

Your right, you only need one cooler, be it in the nose or rear...

Scott

  _____

See what's free at AOL.com <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503> .

  _____

--

-

    I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10
or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you
when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'

    Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation