REFLECTOR: Oil Cooling (was First Flight for N173RT)

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 16:10:47 CDT 2007

For those that have remote mounted oil filters, Spruce
sells an aluminum heat sink that straps to the
outside:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/coolcollar.php

I made a small cylindrical plenum out of fiberglass
that fits over the lower half - air is supplied to the
bottom of this plenum via 1" scat coming from on of
the runners.

As usual, I wasn't scientific about this mod and don't
have any hard data to report. I do have two oil
coolers and my oil temps are in good shape even on the
hot days.

Pat