REFLECTOR: Heat in the nose!

Hiroo Umeno humeno at microsoft.com
Fri May 11 13:24:13 CDT 2007

Now that I have flown a few hours...

What have others (who has nose oil cooler) done about the heat on the nose compartment?  After an hour or so flying, the nose compartment gets very warm and even with the cabin heat closed, it gets rather toasty in the cockpit with the fresh air vents open.  The oil cooler is kicking up a lot of heat in there.

Has anyone insulated the oil cooler there?  Vented the nose?  Right now, I have the nose sealed up pretty well with the baffle over the canard and I am guessing that there hardly is any airflow where the oil cooler and the batteries are.

Perhaps wrapping the oil cooler, duct, and the oil line with foam insulation might help?

Hiroo