REFLECTOR: First Flight for N173RT

Robert Trent RDTRENT1 at CHARTERMI.NET
Fri May 11 13:10:21 CDT 2007

Thanks for the correction on the vernatherm operation.  It did not close
enough to force any significant oil to the nose cooler. It was body
temperature or a little warmer.

I also have an engine compartment cooler in series with the nose cooler, and
an Airwolf remote oil filter. The Airwolf was hot and I suspect doing
whatever cooling

that was happening.

Thanks

Bob Trent

  _____

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of HYTEC45 at aol.com
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 11:39 AM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: First Flight for N173RT

In a message dated 5/11/2007 6:28:59 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
RDTRENT1 at chartermi.net writes:

It turns out the vernatherm had not opened to pass oil to the oil coolers

The vernatherm closes to force the oil to the coolers.  It's not like a auto
thermostat.

IMHO, you will be screwing with the oil temp problem with one cooler, so
just put in a second cooler now, and enjoy flying.  I know some have
"claimed" to been able to get the front cooler to work on it's own, but
unless you can cruise at 185-190, your still hot.  The oil is up to 50
degrees hotter than indicated in some areas of the engine.  Staying just
below redline may be O.K. by the book and not make any noticeable difference
now, but it does when it comes to TOH and MOH times.

TEC

  _____

See what's free at AOL.com <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503> .