REFLECTOR: Starter/Battery Problems

Chuck c.harbert at comcast.net
Wed May 9 18:27:02 CDT 2007

Guys, I finally solved my starter problems by installing a relay near the
starter. Previously, the engine would crank slowly when cold and more
quickly when warmed up. I installed a new SkyTec starter which worked
slightly better, but not great. However, when I put a 30A relay which
switches cable power thru to the solenoid, it really made a huge difference.
I believe there was too much line loss going to the solenoid to keep it
engaged. It surprised me that it made this much difference. I now turn the
key once and it cranks/starts imediately.

Chuck H

p.s. I use #4 cables, plus ground the oil cooler lines.

In a message dated 5/9/2007 11:33:14 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,