REFLECTOR: Odyssey Battery

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 13:33:33 CDT 2007

Chuck,

That's funny.

Apparently we all prioritize our battery needs
differently: What is the minimum starting amps
required for your application, what it will take to
get you home in case of alt failure, or my favorite -
what it will take when the OAT is zero, your battery
is not fully charged, your engine is hot and flooded,
it's dark and you've got passengers...

That's when I really want it to crank. The weight
trade off, for me, is well worth it.

Which starter do you have? I mentioned a while back I
swapped out my Sky-Tec flyweight for there Hi-Torque
model. Even with my big battery the flyweight wouldn't
always turn the motor over as strong as I wanted (cold
OAT, hot engine). I basically I traded cranking RPM's
for torque. I had checked/tested all terminals
connections were good and have #2 gauge wires. Works
great. Remember, it's about a 24' electrical run. I
would go there next if the battery doesn't solve your
problem.

In my humble opinion, I can squint and imagine the 680
CA of the PC680 would be enough for you 300HP lyc, but
the 220 CCA concerns me. Of course, I've been wrong
before.

Best, Pat