REFLECTOR: Blue Mountain

Michael Watson mikewatsspg at gmail.com
Wed May 2 10:54:15 CDT 2007

Steve.

> I have also been told, as Lawrence suggested, that few companies provide
unlimited software or hardware support.  I am not asking for > > unlimited
support, I am just asking for what I was promised in the first place.  I can
live with that.

Shouda gota GRT H1

On 5/1/07, Steve Wooden <wooden at alltel.net> wrote:

> Interesting that this topic has come up on the reflector.  I don't know
how many of you monitor or contribute to the Blue Mountain discussion board,
but I have had many public and private conversations with BMA and members of
the discussion board on this subject.

> Just like many of you, I was promised weather, scalability, and improved
graphics.  I was never told, prior to the purchase of the gold box, that the
company was working on a new generation, and that the G3 (gold box) would
not contain the promised items.  I had heated words with Sheila from BMA at
Oshkosh last year.  She told me that there was an upgrade in the
works.  Well, another lie.  The upgrade was a ridiculous offer to "trade in"
our gold box for the G4 plus $10,000.

> To add insult to injury, they did come up with a software upgrade that
allowed the gold box to scale up to 72nm.  An improvement in scalability,
but in order to get this they removed the graphical terrain.  I no longer
have terrain.  This sucks.  On top of that, their upgrade corrupted my flash
card so I had to send the unit in, pay $120 to get it fixed, plus shipping
and insurance.  I am really pissed at BMA right now.

> I bought a Garmin 496 that provides me with so much more information and
capability.  All for $2700, and everything delivered as promised.  I do not
trust what them anymore, but because I have put the bulk of my avionics
budget into this unit, I will continue to work with them, pressure them to
provide the promised support, and be in their face often.  What do I have to
lose?

> There is no reason I can see that they could not come up with an
acceptable substitute for the G3 motherboard and flashcard system which
would allow us gold box users to run the new generation software, get
weather, terrain, and scalability.  I was told that "it is not possible, but
they are working on it".  Now, that is a fine example of how they twist
their words and not deliver.

--
Mike W
1997 Velocity Elite RG