REFLECTOR: PERFECTO -- THEN MURPHY'S LAW

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Sat Mar 31 23:35:11 CDT 2007

I wrote earlier about my plane yawing ever so slightly to the left.
Well, I shimmed the right rudder just a tiny bit and the plane flew
perfectly straight and level. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

But what happened later that day really ruined my day.

My friend was flying the V ... and I was flying my Cirrus - which could
not keep up with it!

When he got to Greeley airport he made a perfect landing ... but on roll
out at around 50 MPH, the NOSE GEAR COLLAPSED!

We managed to get it hauled off the runway into a hangar.  Fortunately,
there was very minor damage.

I did not have time to evaluate what happened.  I will send some of my
AP buddies (who helped in the construction) out there on Monday to look
it over.

However, I am sure this has happened before.  So my question is:  "What
is the most likely reason?"

Do "over-center" locks just suddenly fail?  Or are there usually
indications?  What did I miss?  If anything?

When I pulled the nose gear down it would not lock into place.

Thanks for any help!