REFLECTOR: Fast Velocity

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Fri Mar 30 18:53:31 CDT 2007

Hello Scott and All,
There are a number of airframe mods planned for the Mk-I Rocket Racer.  You are correct in your statement about non-disclosure - but I can say that the modifications have been done to the spars and flight control systems to give the aircraft extra strength.  The Mk-I is designed to take off at 3000#.  The LOX and Kerosene represent load totals more than 1,000# and is quickly burned in less than 10-minutes of powered flight.  Racers will operate the aircraft by powering the aircraft for take off and climb - and will be gliding for a good portion of the race circuit.  The 240 Vne is well thought out specification of the Rocket Racing League - they want the aircraft within sight of folks sitting in the grandstands.  This is as much a spectator sport for entertainment as it is to advance rocket powered flight for technology reasons.  The RRL believes that at some point in the future, racers will launch from local airports and reach altitudes that will take the craft into space.
Scott B.