REFLECTOR: STICK & RUDDER

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 27 11:30:15 CDT 2007

Thanks for the definition.  I looked in my handbook and did not find a Va but there is a Vno (maximum design structural cruising speed) which is the top of the green arc.  I don't know just what the difference is but my manual puts it at 170 Knts.

Tom,

Here's what I think is happening from your description.  First I think that your left winglet has more tow in than the right one and this is why you had to shim the right rudder.  Second I believe that full right rudder at high speed is twisting the top of the winglet to the point of a negative angle of attack in the relative wind causing the winglet to flutter, not the rudder. I am concerned that you are exceeding the design limits of your aircraft and are on the brink of causing a catastrophic structural failure.

Larry Coen
N136LC