REFLECTOR: Cont'd oil temp problems

Tom tomcat05 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 27 10:18:59 CDT 2007

Finally got 255DM running again (it's a standard fg with an
IO360)--replaced the leaky oil cooler (OH from Pacific Oil Cooler) and
added a 90 degree oil filter adapter (it simply had screens prior) I
went with the large filter (48109) and used a finned filter cover for
heatsink. Had to also replace oil temp gauge with aircraft type due to
probe thread diff.  Before changes,with the VDO automotive oil temp
gauge it had read about 220 degrees in cruise--with the new stuff it's
now reading 245. I pulled the oil temp probe out and tested it with hot
water and a cooking thermometer. It was accurate. The two lines to the
oil cooler both showed about 150 degrees when I infrareded them just
after shutdown. I also tested the top of the oil cooler which read about
195 degrees 5 to 7 min after shutdown. Oil is not burnt and I still
don't beleive it is running that hot. Some possible reasons--the probe
is too short, it's a UMA probe and is only about an inch long, the stock
engine probe on my Mooney was 4 inches long. Vernatherm?? I had tested
it when it was out and it opened up nicely at about 180. Is anyone
running without a vernatherm?? if so, where did you get the plug? The
oil lines are different than what I was used to, one runs in just behind
the oil cooler and the other is low on the accessory case on the pilot
side. There's another plug just behind the oil cooler and to the left of
the first oil line. Not sure what's correct but it's different than
other 360s I've seen.
To add a 2nd cooler, I was thinking of using the (fuel injection) ram
air intake scoop to blow onto the 2nd cooler and simply put a K&N cone
type filter onto the intake inlet for air filtration. Is there enough
air in the engine compartment to feed the engine?? Where can I exhaust
the hot air after passing over the 2nd oil cooler??
Any help appreciated, thx Tom/Fort Myers