REFLECTOR: Heavy Ailerons

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 26 11:23:23 CDT 2007

Gordon,

Just a thought.  If the force required to move them changes with speed,
might it be a binding problem that is aggravated with speed.  Possibly the
wing flexing in flight?

Have you tried jacking/lifting the plane at the wing tips and then moving
the controls?  Just a thought.

Andy

cgputney at peoplepc.com wrote:

My flight test program revealed "heavy ailerons".   Movable at pattern
speeds, but next to impossible at 140kts.   After exchanges with Danny
Maher, Scott Jones, Steve Murphree, and old Seawind newletters I decided to
fill the (per plans) concave undersides with Superfil and rebalance.   The
required nose weights reduced aileron travel below the 2.5" so I am
considering rebuilding them lighter.   Any recommendations out there?
Gordon Putney.

  _____

--

-

    As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both
instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged.
And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the
air however slight lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness.

    William O. Douglas, Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court

  _____