REFLECTOR: Canard Landing Lights

Jorge Bujanda bujanda at dslextreme.com
Sun Mar 25 09:10:48 CDT 2007

I am thinking about installing two separate wig-wag halogen landing lights, inboard of the
elevator counterweights area in the canard tips for better visibility.  I already have the
lights and estimate I would have to add about a 1" (H) x 4" (W)  flat fairing to the
bottom of the canard, similar to the one covering the outboard elevator counterweights, to
fit the light inside the canard and leave some clearance for heat dissipation.  I was
planning to insulate the cavity with a box of phenolic material.  Has anyone done
something similar or know of other canard aircraft with a similar setup?  Could adding
this semi-bubble negatively affect the characteristics of the canard?  Your thoughts,
experience, references or pictures are all welcome.

Regards,
Jorge Bujanda
Velocity XL FG
Palmdale, CA
Website:  http://members.dslextreme.com/users/jbujanda/

"Make your best case... not the best case."
"Spare the noise... convince through silence."