REFLECTOR: TT pitch servo

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 24 18:27:31 CDT 2007

Hi Joe,

No I am not using the standard spring.  Long story.   Because of space
issues I took the speed brake cyl and swapped it with the elevator.  So
instead of 4 inches on the el, mine is now 6 I think.  My speed brake only
deploys about 47 degrees instead of the 55 or so that I have seen on others.
Also on that.my speedbrake bracket attach point is forward of the mid point
also due to keel space available in the -5 model w/ the retract gear.  If
you plan on a RG-5 with a speed brake, stuff doesn't fit as written.  Side
point:  the cozy SB bracket attach point is even more forward than that, but
constructed differently-not form core.

Anyway I will likely wind up being able to trim the entire throw of my
elevator.  For the spring, after listening to chat on the reflector about
running out at the high speed or the low speed end depending on gross wgt
and CG, I decided to "experiment" a little.  The factory spring wouldn't
work.  Mine looks more like a parenthesis than a question mark.   I won't
know until the test phase, but if it feels too heavy I may narrow it down
left to right, if it's too sensitive, I'll add layer or two of uni.

I can't take anything more than collaboration credit for this.Hangar 18
wisdom and wizards again.I would never had thought this combination of fixes
myself exactly as they have done it, but I was right there as we bounced
ideas around, and it looks imminently workable.

Except for a little pause in things for extended family needs, I hope to be
able to tell you more (first hand!) in a couple of months.  Oh, and also.not
sure the pic shows this too well.  I was concerned about even the smallest
chance of the elevator autopilot servo going overcenter on me, so it has a
stop block.  The elevator servo command loss is negligible and I feel better
now.  That reminds me, I asked TruTrak to confirm that this method was
acceptable, and they never got back.but they are great to answer questions.
Their install literature is full of warnings about o'center precautions.

Terry

  _____