REFLECTOR: Franklin engine noise?

Michael Watson mikewatsspg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 13:25:22 CDT 2007

Hiroo,

I sent you a post on Sunday but for some reason it did not go through, so
here goes.

As others have stated, the Franklin engine has a !0.5 to 1 compression ratio
with a
high lift overlap cam like a dragster, which it sounds like at idle, it does
not like
to idle under 950~1000 RPM. Adjust your idle stop screw for 950 RPM then
adjust the
idle mixture screw to peak idle RPM which should result in an idle of close
to 1000
RPM. This will prevent plug fouling at idle and taxi, but it is still
recommended to lean
aggressively during taxi and hold.

If your idle is between 700 ~ 850 RPM, it will cause the canard to vibrate
violently
and do nasty things to your engine mount rubbers.

Mag check drops are much higher then other aircraft engines

Climb at 26/2700 and cruse at 24/2550 ~2600 and always keep the RPM above
2450 unless landing.

Mike W.

--
Mike W