REFLECTOR: Franklin engine noise?

Hiroo Umeno humeno at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 19 11:40:18 CDT 2007

I have a favor to ask for those who are flying a Franklin.

Would someone able to capture the engine startup, runup, and idling sound digitally?  It does not have to be "audio-phile" quality.  Some handheld device is fine but preferably with gain set low enough that it does not clip due to high sound pressure.

What I am looking for is...

Startup, running at 1000rpm, runup at 1700rpm, mag-check, then idle with throttle pulled all the way back.

I am convinced that my Franklin is "missing a beat" but I do not have any reference to compare against.

I finally got mine running again this weekend (changed the ignition harness) and it is back to its old trick of growling and shaking.  The shaking is most pronounced when the throttle is pulled back all the way and the engine is idling at 600rpm or so.  You can see the canard tip bounce around ½" or so at the tip.  My wife thought that I had some bolts loose.

Hiroo