REFLECTOR: Gear pivot bolts bending

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Mar 17 18:48:20 CDT 2007

I've been thinking of the main gear pivot bolts and the problem of them
bending.  When I pulled my main gear off to add carbon fiber torsion
wraps and embedded brake lines the bolts were bent a little. Not bad but
I had to knock them out with a hammer and punch.  Bought two new really
straight bolts from Barnhill in ABQ.  Tried to slide them through the
gear leg sleeves and the sleeves were bent, which makes sense in a way.
If the bolts were bent the sleeves had to bend along with the bolts.

Seems that the sleeve as is doesn't provide any support to the bolt and
thats about a 7 inch span through the sleeve.

Does anybody know what the sleeve is made of?  4130?  Some hardened
steel?   Scott B., can you find out what material the sleeves are made of?

I was thinking of replacing the sleeves with ones that have a thicker
wall, say double what the current ones are.  The gear box flexes some
which is good as it relieves the pounding but I really don't want that
bolt and sleeve bending in the leg..

Anybody try this already?

Scott

--

-
    What county can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that its people preserve the spirit of resistance.

    Thomas Jefferson