REFLECTOR: Speedbrake, descents, and shock cooling.

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 09:10:38 CDT 2007

Hi all,
Dear all,

This is a great thread for me.  I am in the throws of finishing my XLRG
with speed brake (IO540) and debating with myself about connecting the
rudders so to use them as further drag devices.  Thanks for the comment
Joel, I think Dave Sharfenburg (sp?) has his that way too.  I am guessing
they are great for pattern work, but hard to sustain in a cruise descent.
Any other comments on this?

I fly in the NE too and am concerned about being able to meet ATC demands
and have all the performance and flexibility I can get.  I have heard of
the evils of shock cooling at 50 CHT per minute.  In the below Deakin
refutes some of this...

John Deakin has a series at AVcom on engine care.  Here's the extract from
his article.

(The first paragraph below is a quote he is refuting in another article
from Shell Oil.

Shell guy quote:
"Another common cause of plug damage is through rapid cycling of the engine
temperature -- power off descents after cruise, or excessive leaning, which
rapidly increases exhaust gas temperature (EGT), are typical scenarios. As
we have covered before, Lycoming recommend that the rate of change of
cylinder head temperature should not exceed 50¢ªF per minute."

Deakin write this:
The data suggests otherwise, as I mentioned above. We know of no data that
supports the popular concept of "shock cooling." I am unaware of any hard
data that supports the 50¢ªF per minutes "limit." On the other hand, one
has to work pretty hard to get a 50¢ª degree per minute change in the CHT!
I think some have transposed this CHT change to EGT, erroneously adding it
to their self-imposed "limits."

One pilot I know used to recommend not reducing manifold pressure any
faster than 1" every two minutes! Now that is "Fear of Shock Cooling," and
utterly ridiculous.

Terry