REFLECTOR: Oh sure blame on us!

Mike Dawson medawson250 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 20:30:40 CDT 2007

Kent

I don't belittle CENTER PUKS LOL besides all you have
to do is get below 3000 either side of the Seatac
final / departure corridor.
You are fairly fast but only a small, not a large...
Class B separation!!!! Jets are bigger faster and the
dash 8s outnumber you! Come to think of it I haven't
talked to you in the air yet! Do you really call for
flight following?

Mike

--- Kent Murley <kent at orbital.aero> wrote:

---------------------------------
  Jack -

I have an XLRG with no speedbrake.  I thought I read
that someone withan RG put in a speedbrake but that it
was a very tight fit because ofthe RG hardware.

It's fun to come in hot and fast if you have a way to
slow withoutshock cooling the engine but without a
speedbrake I've learned to stepthe throttle back
early.

My problem is I'm based at TIW, an airport underneath
a Seattle Class Bshelf. No matter what direction I
come home from approach controlforces me down early
and I have to dive, trying not to exceed 200, thenfly
level at pattern altitude for 20 miles to the airport.
That's notthe best way to treat an engine. When I
don't descend pronto theyvector me around. They're
trying to train me to start down even earlierand I'm
trying to train them I'm compatible with commuter
planes, nothouse flies.

A speedbrake would be a nice option, but, for those of
you who have oneon a Velocity, do they allow you to
lose enough speed, say 40 knots, tomake it worth it?
Do you get a lower stall speed, say 4 knots or
morelower than without using the speedbrake?

For everyone:
On a side note, please try right before you hit Send
to check theSubject line once more to ensure your
topic is still the same. Type anew one if it has
changed so threads can be maintained.

Thank you,
Kent Murley

Jack Prock wrote:        If you did install a
speedbrake, are you glad you did? Do youuse it often?

  Thanks,

  Jack Prock