REFLECTOR: Questions for those already flying

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Thu Mar 15 12:13:45 CDT 2007

XLRG, no speed brake.  Advantage of no speed brake is simplicity, no
inadvertant deployment or failure to retract on TO or go-around.
Dropping the gear will get rid of altitude promptly if power is chopped.
Besides, using the speed brake to dissipate altitude and speed is an
energy waste.  Preplanning can make good use of both to get there faster
while using less energy.  It's actually a pretty rare instance that ATC
slam-dunks a person such that the brake is needed.  Even then, "unable"
works equally as well.  Speed brakes seem to be very much a personal
preference.  The best value I've heard of for the speed brake is it
seems to cushion the nose area such that at touch down, the nose doesn't
"plop" onto the runway as sharply.

Chuck Jensen