REFLECTOR: Engine choice

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Mar 14 19:35:36 CDT 2007

Al Geitzen has done a masterful job with his non-turbo 20B, but he also is
at near 1,600 lbs (he has the big wing). When I switched to the IO360, my
finished weeight was 1,350 lbs.

Thanks for the compliment, Chuck; but I have the standard wing, and my total
empty weight is 1525 - which I don't consider near 1600:-).  That is in full
finish and deluxe interior.

A heavier airplane burns more fuel, so adding 250-300 lbs is generally not
efficient, plus it significantly reduces your load carrying capacity.

I have weighed everything firewall back, and estimate that my engine
installation added about 60 lbs over the weight of an IO 360.  No doubt I
could be off a few pounds, but what is the 250-300# you're talking about?

Al